On Sat, 24 Nov 2018, Gene Heskett wrote:

Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2018 14:29:55 -0500
From: Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Waiting on the mail

On Friday 23 November 2018 17:55:57 Gene Heskett wrote:

Greetings all

I'm going to try something thats probably crazy, and until the mail
brings me a 7i76D expected tomorrow maybe I'm going to assmue it will
work.

Which it turned out was actually delivered yesterday at 16:39, nominally
10 minutes after I had made a last trip to the mailbox an hour and a
half after his normal time to come thru this neighborhood, so it sat on
a red seat cushion beside the door all night.

Question for PCW, I see it does have some free-wheeling diodes built in,
but are they sufficient to protect it from a 24 volt dpst p&b Ice cube"
relay, as I have some of those tied to the flood and mist coolant
outputs using a 2 relay approach so as not to have big motors being
bumped during power up. It would be nice to ditch the second relay and
control them directly by using 24 volt field power.

The normal limit is around 60 mA (> 60 mA needs a flyback)

In general flybacks are better because they limit the EMI somewhat (and dissipate the inductive energy in the coil rather than the MOSFET)

One advantage of the built in protection is that it allows faster off times
(it clamps at ~40V rather than the < 1V a flyback diode drops)

One fuss though Peter, about the mechanical drawing on the last page of
the doc pdf. Way too fine a line to reproduce well in my ink squirter,
could sure use a scale up and fully black ink instead of the light grey.
I have to use a projection lens intended for a 16mm movie projector to
read the dimensions. Which is my next move, mount it.

Thanks everybody.

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics

(\__/)