On Sat, 23 Feb 2019, Gene Heskett wrote:

Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2019 11:19:42 -0500
From: Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] head scratcher, updated

Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2019 22:35:21 -0500
From: Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net

Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2019 17:10:16 -0500
From: Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net

On Friday 22 February 2019 16:06:46 Przemek Klosowski wrote:
On Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 1:07 PM Gene Heskett
<ghesk...@shentel.net>

wrote:
memtest86 still has me scratching my head. If its so badly
broken, then how in hell is it running lcnc without a hiccup
while I go thru the copies of the original .ini and .hal files,
fixing the syntax errors that changing the hardware its running
on makes? Heck of a good question that. With some luck and a
bigger supply of giddyup I might even have it rigged to drive
some of the machine good enough to carve its own back panel by
the time the new memory gets here late Monday.

Well, maybe it's the memtest installation that's
broken---uninstall and

reinstall? It' should rewrite the boot areas memtest uses, in
case they got corrupted

I gave that a fleeting thought, so fleeting I had  forgotten about
it by the time I'd refilled my coffee cup.

Now, for PCW;
I have it running an admittedly stripped to the bones config.
Nothing is actually hooked up to the machine. But I can home it
w/o motion, and I can jug the dros to the iii file set limits. In
my old hal file I had:
setp stepgen.0.min_limit [AXIS_X]MIN_LIMIT
I put that in the new file and its a no-no, pin
hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.0.0.min_limit does not exist. In fact no min or
max_limits show except as ini.data visible to a halmeter.  Yet the
dro's stop at the limits set in the ini file under
[AXIS_(xyz)]MIN_LIMIT or MAX_LIMIT.

I dont think there has ever been a stepgen limit
Is it possible you went a bit overboard with find+replace?

These are the axis "soft" limits. You normally set them relative to
the absolute $home of an axis (g53 measurements) to prevent its
running into the mechanical limits, usually I set them about 25 thou
off the crash points for each axis. When software stepping, they are
stepgen.N.min_limit and stepgen.N.max_limit. But there are no such
critters in the 5i25 stepgen's.  It apparently depends on axis to
set and enforce those, and I hadn't noticed they were missing in the
hal files I've hand carved previously.

Are you sure? I cant find these in the stepgen manual page...

See page 306 in the current master copy of Documentation.pdf, where it
lists them, but doesn't say where these limits are actually imposed.
They are also use to draw the machines operating envelope in the
backplot

Umm just loaded a software stepgen (lastet master) and it has no such pins/parameters

Without these, or set essentially to infinity, the machines can move at
any commanded speed until they crash into the end of travel.  Hard on
screws etc.

These are set with the ini file machine limit settings, not related to the stepgen at all

But as I also said later, this operating envelope, displayed in the
backplot if switched on, is also apparently a function of the gui, in
this case axis. Setting those limits in the ini file seems to be
sufficient to enforce them. Bear in mind that its possible they have
been moved in the last 15 years as the original file I am updating a
copy of, was for a machine that had no home switches and  only 2 limit
switches intended to keep me from unscrewing the little ball screws from
their nuts. That hal file was originally composed for a brain dead
install in the late 90's IIRC.

Unfortunately, the override limit switch logic let me do it anyway, and I
was unable to source another bag of .0635" balls to rebuild the x screw.
So I bought this 6040, and found its designed to work only with mach 3
electronics, was sorely lacking, hence the current linuxcnc build in
progress. But using your interface hardware instead of a single bob on a
parport. Motor drivers are the ones removed from the old mill, and are
moving this machine 10x faster from a parport drive than the old HF mill
ever moved from that same parport without stalls.

So that question is at this point, moot. I've one quite a bit more
important out there now. About spindle parameters for scaling and rev
limits using the spindle interface in the 7i76d. I've set those, but
they seem to have no effect even though the halmeter shows they are set.

Thanks Peter.

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics

Peter Wallace