On 26.03.19 02:08, andy pugh wrote:
> Most of them seem to need a kernel specifically patched for the
> hardware, though. So you need (for example) the Udoo-patched kernel
> then need to apply Xenomia / RTAI / Preempt-RT on top of that.
> And often the fit is not exact.

Thought I'd order one, until seeing I'd have to run Android, as there's
explicitly no support for GNU Linux. (My Udoo X86 has, after a rather
short life, started checkerboarding the video after a few minutes
running, then crashing. I wonder if it's due to cheap supply bypass
caps, i.e. not low ESR?. That'd be fixable when I have time.)

Looks like I'll have to keep looking for a cheap video streamer for
viewing news clips and some old Sci-Fi episodes I have on a hard drive -
still unviewed, sadly.

> One kernel to suit every SBC? I don't think that is even possible without RT.

When porting Linux to a new board, you're up for writing or borrowing
drivers for the BSP (Board Support Package) (= HAL in other lingo). I've
only started on that once, and never carried it through to completion.

Erik