You don't need to do the motion planning on the uP, just the execution of
the plan.   Planning means deciding what point to go to and at what speed
and what acceleration.   Execution of the plan means updating the setpoints
of a few servo loops.

Planning is best done on the largest computer your budget for cost, space
and power can afford.  But the execution is best done on a computer that
can handle "hard" real-time.

Planning is also best done in a process that "knows" the most about the

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 4:19 AM andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Mar 2019 at 03:41, Chris Albertson <albertson.ch...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Yes, you have to patch Kernels.  I think this is the #1 weakness of
> > Linux CNC.   It would be good to eliminate the need for a real-time
> Kernal.
> >    How?   Move the real-time parts to hardware such as the uP, PRU or
> Mesa
> > FPGA.
>
> The Mesa FPGA cards need updating in realtime. I think that the same
> is true of the PRU.
>
> There are existing controllers that run everything in a microprocessor
> (GRBL for example)
>
> If you just want a graphical front-end to feed G-code to a uP that
> does all the motion planning then I don't think that LinuxCNC is a
> good starting place.
> Better to start with GRBL and write a thin layer GUI on top of that to
> open files and display positions.
>
> --
> atp
> "A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is
> designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and
> lunatics."
> — George Fitch, Atlanta Constitution Newspaper, 1916

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California