On 04/09/2019 08:40 AM, Roland Jollivet wrote:

This would be very useful. I have about 12 Yaskawa motors and drives on 2
robots that I could make use of if I could make the absolute encoder data
readable in Linuxcnc..

Rudy
*****************************

Hi Rudy

I have recently acquired a number of motors and one robot. A bit battered.
But I only have a few of the servo drives loose, SGDR-SDA140A01BY22 and
SGDR-SDA060A018. No controller box.

Do you have detailed info on driving these servos? I see that that are
essentially dumb devices, an H-bridge brick and a number of opto isolaters.
It probably isn't too difficult to buzz them out, but all info would be
useful.

Are you sure they are "dumb" drives? These appear to be servo-pack drives. I worked with some a long time ago, from an earlier series. The encoder is proprietary, the AB are normal, but the C track looks like the AB, but apparently has a phase shift that tells you what quadrant you are in. The drives internally convert the encoder to standard ABZ quadrature with index, to send to the controller. There should be a serial interface (can be hooked to RS-232 or RS-485) to a PC, and use Yaskawa's configuration program. Early drives were positioning only or speed only, later drives could do either via configuration. I set up a SGDP drive to run in both analog +/- 10 V mode and step/direction mode through the utility.

Jon