If you need height clearance for a cross shaft, mount the shaft up high and run
1:1 belts or roller chains down the ends. Or if the table is stiff enough to
only need supports at the ends you can run the shaft under the table, and have
the racks on the bottom so dust and crud can't fall into the teeth.
Yet another way is to mount stiff supports above the table to mount the racks
then load sheet material from the side, between the table and rack support.
I've seen 1o foot long plasma tables made like that, with 4" square tube. Dunno
why Torchmate used an ACME threaded rod for the cross shaft when it drove
nothing along its length. Just had one stepper with a reduction belt drive to
the center of the shaft and a rack and pinion on each side.

    On Tuesday, April 23, 2019, 9:28:02 AM MDT, Leonardo Marsaglia
<ldmarsag...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was wondering what you're going to machine, and if it's boards, only
> boards, and forever boards, then you don't need much of a throat on the
> machine. (daylight).. Not to be confused with Z travel.
> So, if the racks are say 80mm above the board, you could link the two drive
> pinions directly to each other with a 40mm tube. And then drive this. Now
> you will never have to worry about skewing of the axes, or dual homing.

About how to drive the gantry. I thought about that but given the design of
my frame and how I'm building it, it's not gonna be possible to use a
transmision. I've seen there's a gantry component ready to use in LinuxCNC,
my plan was to use that or slave one motor as others did. I was thinking
about using some laser cross of something to check for the squareness of
the two axis. But I don't know how precise that could be, it's just a
thought.