The "atomic pi" looked good at first and then we foubd they were just
surplllus junk that will never be suported in the long term.

Here is a NEW product that has has a huge company suporting it.   In fact,
they were smart to get there support and documentation in order some months
before the product was released.  STM has a hybrid ARM hybrid A and M chip.

The A side of the chip can run Debian Linux.  They have their own version
and I think real-time support for it and the M side of the chip is the
normal STM32F microcontroller.

This is a little like the Ti chip in the BBB that has PRUs but the M4 is
quite a lot better suited for machine control because of the attached
peripheral hardware.  It can generate pulses and decode quadrature encoders
all inhardware with no CPU cycles.     The chips themselves are selling for
about $15 so a user level retail product might be cheap.   STM has a
history of selling subsidized development board at lowe cost.    These will
be sold in large numbers

The first boards are on sale now.  The lowest spec one has pretty good
performance including gigabit Ethernet and HDMI video for $70.  For another
$30 they add a phone-sized touch screem WiFi and Bluetooth.

Read the specs here, very impressive for a low-cost chip

https://www.cnx-software.com/2019/02/21/stmicro-stm32mp1-cortex-a7-m4-mpu/

I have always thought the best machine controller would be some combo of
Linux with a uP and then the user interface would run on a tablet with a
touch screen with an option to use multiple screens    This would enable
that kind of design.     The peripheral hardware, (that would be quadrature
decoders, hardware PWM and analog I/O)  would make this as fast as an FPGA
based controller but it runs Linux on the same chip so the communications
is easy

On top of all this STM is very supportive of developers and maintains
compilers and IDE and the Linux OS images.

On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 4:57 PM Alan Condit <condit.a...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Chris and Gene,
>
> I just went to the dlidirect.com <http://dlidirect.com/> website and
> clicked on the “Full Developer Kit” pull down, it showed out of stock when
> I looked but while I was on the page looking I got a invitation to chat
> box. I asked whether you could order the developers kit through the website
> or if you had to buy it through Amazon. The chat person said give me a call
> and posted their phone number. They said they had a limited number of
> developer kits in stock but the price was now $119 plus $20 shipping. So, I
> placed an order and was told that it will ship tomorrow.
>
> Assuming that I didn’t get scammed, I should have it in a few days.
>
> Alan
>
> > From: Chris Albertson <albertson.ch...@gmail.com>
> > Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Atomic pi
> > Date: May 13, 2019 at 9:58:57 PM PDT
> > To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
> >

> > I looked at their web site.  About $108 for the full developer kit but
> you
> > get two units, the pwr supply, and a camera.   It's a fantastic deal but
> > they are sold out.  They say "restocking now" and to buy them on Amazon.
> >
> > $108 for two is a great deal.
> >
> > On Mon, May 13, 2019 at 9:21 PM Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
> wrote:

> >> Not yet, sure looks interesting though. What does the whole kit, bob and
> >> pdu shown cost?
> >>
> >> Maybe it could be our next D525MW but with an spi interface to a 7i90HD?
> >>
> >> Cheers, Gene Heskett
> >> --
> >> "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
> >> soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
> >> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> >> Genes Web page <http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene>

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California