On Sunday 29 December 2019 05:37:36 andrew beck wrote:

> Hey everyone
>
> So just getting to the bottom of these emails and thanks so much for
> all the replies.
>
> There is much food for thought.
>
> If you missed it up in the emails here is the current plan for wiring
> the control panel.
>
> yuhai servo drive manual
> <https://drive.google.com/file/d/17inZoRboGQP3lqn0KHd343NlmDQ1CxzS/vie
>w?usp=sharing> Linuxcnc mill control panel drawing
> <https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rJYzUGXLrSKuDARQ878wc5RlkjgPqSCr/vie
>w?usp=sharing>
>
> All the three phase stuff is pretty standard I think.  The main
> problem I have is that I am not sure how the grounding should work.
> Eg do I tie the 24 volt powersupplies to ground on the input or output
> etc and any safety stuff I need to make sure I do.

inputs for the 24 volts should be from a 240 hot and neutral. output
rails minus to the green stuff, by a separate wire for each. + to
wherever you need it, like field power for the mesa 7i76D. The ground
symbol terminal on the psu's should goto that common bolt, again by its
own wire.

> The only opti isolation I have is in the mesa 7i76 card.

Do the motor drivers not have opto's?

> So any thoughts feel free to let me know.  I am planning on powering
> this up tomorrow.
>
> Regards
>
> Andrew
>
> On Fri, Dec 27, 2019 at 8:03 AM Chris Albertson
> <albertson.ch...@gmail.com>
>
> wrote:
> > A ground loop is then a single device is connected to ground more
> > than once.   A good example is a motor driver.   It might in a
> > "power" input called "+" and "-" with the minus side grounded to the
> > AC mains ground or a chassis frame ground.       The in addition
> > there is a logic level control signal that is "signal" and "ground"
> > wires. This is a classic gound loop.
> >
> > How to break it?  Use optical isolation on the signal.  This places
> > an air-gap in the control signal.

The one that counts is in the motor drivers, the + and - signals from the
mesa card there are both isolated from ground inside the driver. You can
verify that with a dvm using the ohms scale, it s/b an open circuit to
anyplace else but its coresponding opposite polarity terminal.

> > Most of the time the system is not so simple as the above but the
> > concept is the same, multiple ground connections are not good.
> > Why? Because in theory current can flow if you have a loop but can
> > never flow if there is not a closed loop.  Then Ohm's law applies --
> > if there is current flow there is voltage drop.   If the voltage
> > drops across a gound then you have tow "grounds" that are not the
> > same voltage.   This can be really serious if the motors are large.
> >
> > There are a number of conventions that work. but they all do the
> > same thing, they reduce the number of ground connects to one per
> > "part" of the system.
> >
> > All the rules try to do the same thing, connect nuetral to ground
> > ONLY at the building service entrance, use opto's on all signal
> > lines. It is all the same idea

 - Louis D. Brandeis