On 03/30/2020 07:17 PM, John Dammeyer wrote:
On 03/30/2020 04:27 PM, John Dammeyer wrote:
When did the hal come in?  This stuff has dates on or around 2004--2007.

John Kasunich proposed HAL at a meeting in 2005, I'm pretty
sure, and demonstrated a
small version of it in 2006, I think.  It was merged into
EMC some time after that, probably
late 2006 to 2007.

Jon

Thanks Jon,
For some reason I thought it was a lot earlier.

A major roadblock had developed in adding new things to EMC about 2002 or so. There was no way to have axes slave to the spindle, for instance. Since all of EMC was just a few massive chunks of code, making any but the most trivial change in the real time side was a HUGE hassle. I know -- for my boards, i needed to move the auxiliary I/O (spindle, coolant etc.) over to the real time side, as everything communicating with my boards needed to be coordinated through a single thread. It took mods to
about a dozen different files to get it done.

Some of us developers felt that breaking out many of these components into smaller pieces that communicated through some sort of switchboard that was easily adjusted would be a big improvement. Some developers thought this would overly complicate EMC and cause performance issues. This was back when EMC was still run on Pentium
Classic computers.

John Kasunich set to work and produced a very elegant code which did add some complexity, but had almost ZERO performance impact -- all data was passed with pointers, so no extra overhead when running. And, it did make it MUCH easier to add components to do special stuff. Most of the developers thought it was great, and a solution to many issues that were just too difficult to deal with.

The logjam was broken, and a whole bunch of new features and capabilities were
realized.

Jon