On Sunday 19 April 2020 16:02:32 Ed wrote:

> On 4/19/20 2:35 PM, mar...@r-bechtold.de wrote:
> > it is impossible to get that old hardware outside of a junkyard.
> > Even cheap Hardware from resellers are minimum an I5 5gen for 200$
> > max.
> >
> > this Machines are working fine with Preempt rt and latency in the
> > range of 1500-24000ns with no modifications
> >
> > i think drop support for Computer Museum Hardware will free
> > Developer time and motivate new developer to develop new features
> > and not just tackling weird hardware problems with hardware you can
> > not buy new to test.
> >
> > markus
>
> I follow this philosophy. ^^^
>
> Until a couple months ago I had a machine running on Ubuntu 6.06 and
> whatever LCNC version it was. When the hardware died it got Ver
> 2.7.something and an 8 year old PC and keeps on going. Just make sure
> you have a good backup of your latest. If it works use it.

This works ok until you need to run some old code that you coded around a
bug in 13 years ago, and because that bug has since been fixed, this
time it kills the shop cat.  This is a moderately strong argument in
favor of keeping both your hardware and your software, up the what you
can currently buy.  Besides that. it may have been an excellent cat,
fully aware of the employee manual.

Reminds me of something from about 18-22 years back at our transmitter
site, I'd put a calico kitten up on the hill for a mouser a decade
prior, and I was discussing something I wanted done with an employee at
the time when a mouse went running across the floor, interrupting our
train of thought, the cat was half asleep on a pillow on an early
american poverty couch. I pointed at the cat and said "you're fired",
then I got in the pickup and headed back down the hill toward the studio
16 miles north.  When I arrived, one of the first phone calls was from
that employee, laughing his self silly.  Seems I hadn't gotten much more
than turned around in the drive when that cat jumped off the couch, ran
into the room the mouse had disappeared into, and came back out with
that mouse in its mouth, brought it to Jim and stood there as if asking
if it could have its job back!  Moral, do not disturb a valued employee,
even if they are working for a daily bowl of Meow Mix.

> Ed.

 - Louis D. Brandeis