Yes the current is set to 1 or -1 while this is occurring.

I'm willing to say that it may just be as fast as it will go. Which will be
fine for my application. I just wasn't sure.

But just so I understand. If I wanted my output range to be 100 to -100

I would set NVMAXCURRENT 3000 (30 AMPS)
current-maxlim = 100
current-minlim = -100
current-scalemax = 100