On Wednesday 03 June 2020 23:05:12 Chris Albertson wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > Assuming you are, the teeth are called "walls" and only if bubbles
> > > are in the plastic would you get voids.    Print slower or maybe
> > > cooler. The outer wall layers should run at maybe 30 mm / second.
> > >
> > > Here is a cell-phone shot of a 30T GT2 profile pulley that has
> > > been sitting around on my desk for a couple weeks.  It is dirty
> > > and the flanges need to be cleaned up with a small nail file.
> > > The walls are made in the direction of motion and are smooth
> > > enough.  It is a 3mm tooth pitch by 9mm wide.    I think this one
> > > was printed on "draft mode" with 0.2mm layer height.   This is
> > > from an Anet A6 printer with default settings in Cura. A steel hub
> > > goes in the 20mm hole.  THe gear was downloaded from SPD/SI
> > > website than modified in Fusion 360
> > >
> > > [image: IMG_0542.jpg]
> >
> > Thats a heck of a lot nicer looking, and 10x smoother than what I
> > have in my hand from this afternoons run.  That said, an XL belt
> > fits it nicely. So this one is usable for a test fit mock up except
> > the slot for the nut is about a 20% infill.  One might be able to
> > epoxy it to the motor shaft with JBWeld. But despite 2mm walls
> > around the hub, I can feel the elasticity and that bothers me.  And
> > while I can sort of see the solid walls around the nut pocket, I
> > have serious doubts of ever getting a decent grip because it will
> > open up from the outward pressure the nut would exert.
>
> Yes, That is why I make pulleys with a 20 or 24 mm hole.  They get
> epoxied to a steel hub.   Steel hubs are easy to make on a lathe by
> hand.  I use two set scres at 90 degrees.  I could epoxy to the motor
> shaft but then I might want to use the motor later with a different
> pulley.
>
> One thing that does work for a while,  If the motor has a "D" shaft or
> a keyway you can print a D or keyway in the pulley.  D-holes don't
> spin but the loose concentric over time.
>
> There is one more technique I want to try.  Brass thread inserts.  You
> heat these on a solder iron tht press them into a hole. When the
> plastic cools they stick
> amazon.com/Uxcell-a16041800ux0824-Knurled-Thread
> <https://www.amazon.com/Uxcell-a16041800ux0824-Knurled-Threaded-Embedm
>ent/dp/B01IYWTCWW/ref=pd_sbs_60_2/140-9661733-2175833?_encoding=UTF8&pd
>_rd_i=B01IYWTCWW&pd_rd_r=adfaa131-87de-4bc3-9678-232764f895cb&pd_rd_w=U
>5P0Q&pd_rd_wg=rKlV4&pf_rd_p=d9804894-61b7-40b3-ba58-197116cffd9d&pf_rd_
>r=X28MD5MCYFYFCWH10C9X&psc=1&refRID=X28MD5MCYFYFCWH10C9X>
>
> If you have access to the backside you can press-fit normal hex nuts
> and embed them into the plastic but these knured nuts press in from
> the front side and might work for gears.   That would be quicker them
> making a steel hub.  Kind of a compromise.   6 cents each.
>
> Finally if you print threads, the wall and skin thrickness setting
> applies to the  plastic around all holes, threaded of not
>
> Use "preview" in Cura to see exactly how each layer will stack up

Preview has a camera view angle that takes the image off the bottom of
the screen, long before the magnification has reached a usefull level.
Changing its view style does not allow the image to remain on screen in
either mode.  Its aimed at a point about 160mm above the bed. It needs
to scroll vertically and doesn't. xray view is blank. But I finally got
that, but still can't blow it up enough to see. So I increased the wall
thickness, and reduced the nut height half a mill and fired off another
make. Sped it up to 100mm too.

> > So I'll probably use this as the motor pulley while I am mocking up
> > the real drive, the next stage being a hubless, larger model, which
> > will be epoxied to a smallish possibly herringboned gear, driving a
> > much higher tooth count matching gear on the worm shaft. The
> > herringbone may get lost in the translation to metal for the final
> > parts though.
> >
> > I set up a "raft" for this one, and made it 15mm bigger than the
> > hub, and it was 30 minutes just laying the raft. 4 layers.  Bed
> > cold, I wiggled the putty knife under it, popped it off, then the
> > raft separated nicely just like cura said it would. I upped the
> > speed to 60mm/sec but I don't think it ever moved that fast. But I
> > think a 5mm skirt would be ok and 20 minutes faster.
> >
> > Now I need to make some parallels so I can lay it down on the mill
> > table without taking out all the lock levers etc, and drill and tap
> > for the axle the intermediate stuff will turn on.  Then make the
> > shaft out of some .500" A2, figuring on some 8mm ID bearings if
> > torrington makes their needle cartridges that small, I haven't
> > checked yet.  Need the smallest to make room for the relay gear to
> > the bigger gear on the worm shaft.
> >
> > I got the motor adapter yesterday, a 34 to a 23, and I'll need to
> > get another alu pulley with an 8mm bore to drive the Sheldons Z with
> > the other motor.  Same tooth count, should move the Sheldon ok and
> > 60 db quieter that the 1600 oz/in doing it now.  If I ever get a
> > knee mill, it would make a good knee motor.  Better yet, somebody
> > should make me an offer for it. 14mm shaft.
> >
> > Thanks Chris.

> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
> > --
> > -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> > If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law
> > respectable. - Louis D. Brandeis

 - Louis D. Brandeis