On Thursday 11 June 2020 05:24:34 Gregg Eshelman via Emc-users wrote:

> I'd be worried about busting off a chunk of the T slot on the top
> slide by putting a lot of weight on a long lever arm which lathes
> aren't designed to handle.

That would not be a worry, since the compound has been replaced by a
substantial hunk of cast, found in a sprue cut off a white truck wheel
hub.  We have a casting place here in town that makes those wheels. That
cut off sprue weighed around 40 lbs, so I found other parts hiding in it
too. :-)

In my case, its the lack of meat in the cross slide its bolted to with a
couple armstrong bolts. The top of that cross slide is a scant 1/4"
thick. And the armstrong bolts could easily bust out a piece of that
casting if a serious leverage to the side were to be put on it.  That
won't happen on my watch.

>     On Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 3:33:24 PM MDT, andy pugh
> <bodge...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  On Wed, 10 Jun 2020 at 20:33, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
wrote:
> > That would nice but I'm not 100% sure my bxa post could handle a 50
> > lb chuck 2 feet out of balance.
>
> That's 100 ft.lb. A good heave on a long spanner. Would you expect
> that to break your toolpost?

Nope, but whats under that elevator block replaceing the compound is
another weak point if serious leverage were applied.

 - Louis D. Brandeis