On Saturday 25 July 2020 07:03:29 andy pugh wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Jul 2020 at 11:22, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
wrote:
> > thru hole had been left empty but the other 6 thru holes have
> > support in them
>
> There should never need to be support in a through-hole. (what is it
> supporting?)

This is something I found on thingiverse searching for harmonic drive.
Mounting for nema-17 motors, and I have the impression it might be
strong enough to drive the BS-1, and I've had a Meade DS-10 for ages,
and driving its mount from from stellarium interests me, and this would
supply the first stage of the geardown needed to do so.

These bits of support are for the top, and bottom, of a pocket slot in
the side of the body, where a nut for an assembly bolt is to be inserted
so it intersects with a bolthole. 6 of the bolts are for retaining the
housing top, and go thru the internal gear.  And 6 of them, the
difficult to remove ones, would appear to be mounting attachment points
to mount the drive to whatever it is going to be fastened to. It renders
nicely in freecad, and freecad can vanish pieces so you can see it all.
I was going to attach the .step but I can't, its 7.6+ megs. I'll put a
copy on my web page. It will be in gene/lathe-stf as
Strain_wave_gear.step

Thanks Andy.

 - Louis D. Brandeis