On 2020/09/03 10:06, andy pugh wrote:
On Thu, 3 Sep 2020 at 02:27, James Reed <jsr...@hotmail.com> wrote:
Evidently, I'm not accustomed to the usual NPN proxes.  We have some NPN
devices at work that have the collector tied to supply, with the emitter as the
output.
I suspect that the nomenclature is mis-applied in the case of
proximity switches. In the world of prox switches NPN means that the
black wire connected to 0V (Blue) when the switch triggers, and with
PNP it means that the black wire connects to brown (supply) when
triggered. I suspect that this has almost nothing to do with the
distribution of N-type and P-type semiconductors inside.

Andy I share your sentiments here.