Way back in 2003 I started a project to control the surplus tread mill motors I
had acquired.  At that time I was still just casting parts for making my
Gingery Lathe and thought about making my own DC Servo motor controller.

http://www.autoartisans.com/MotorDrives/MOTOR1-5.JPG

The first prototype had a bunch of problems and then regular paying work took
over, I needed the bench space and never revived the project.
http://www.autoartisans.com/MotorDrives/REVA0059.JPG

The controller was the MC33030

http://www.autoartisans.com/MotorDrives/MC33030-D.pdf

Knowing what I know now I'd never use this device but back then...

John