On Monday 26 October 2020 14:56:37 Gene Heskett wrote:

> [...]
> in color on glossy photo paper its an excellent drawing. Get it from
> <https://www.olimex.com>
>
> > Also, 10 KHz is at the limit.  For initial testing better, I think
> > to work near the midpoint of the acceptable range, perhaps 1KHz.
> > Then after it works sneak up on the max.
> >
> > 20% PWM duty cycle and a 24V power supply is about  4.8 volts to the
> > motor.   Many DC motors will not move at 20% of rated volts. I'd not
> > be surprised if it took 10 or 12 volts to overcome internal
> > friction. Motion control is always the hardest to make work at the
> > slow speed end. The motors all take a high voltage to "break free"
> > and then run too fast so you have to slow them below the break free
> > voltage so make them run slow.   This is why we have PID and
> > encoders and why PID tuning is hard.
>
> Agreed.  Unforch I can't run the mesa pwmgens at different speeds, and
> the other one is running the spindle. But I'll try a kilohertz just
> for S&G.
>
> > A trick is to use a power supply that is a bunch higher than the
> > motor's rated voltage and let the control logic do whatever it takes
> > to drive the motor to its set-point.
>
> But this driver only has a 40 volt 30 amp limit.  I do have higher
> voltage sapplies that would foldback at the currants involved.
>
> > All brushed motors have brushes and hence friction.   You can use
> > BLDC but they cost more.    (note that a stepper is a type of BLDC.
> >
> > What will make this work is that I doubt an index table needs to
> > spin fast in both directions and start and stop with high
> > accelerations. Set the speed and acceleration limits in LCNC
> > way-slow.
>
> Thats assumed since this motor is a worm drive, 220 rpms at 24 volts.
> And it will be driving the worm in a BS-1.  But first it needs to move
> laying on the mills table. I'll sneak up on the pid's Pgain.  And it
> didn't trip from following error as I've set that way up until I get
> the encoder hooked up. Which has not been done just yet.
>
> > On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 10:48 AM Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
>
> wrote:
> > > On Sunday 18 October 2020 22:21:11 Chris Albertson wrote:
> > >
> > > Advice on the OLIMEX board for a motor driver.
> > >
> > > I have it wired up, I think.  Grounded to system ground on pin 3,
> > > system logic 5 volts on pin 2.
> > >
> > > With complementary 5 volt dirs feeding ENA/ENB on pins 4-5 and a 5
> > > volt pwm on pin 6, the motor on its terminals and a 24 volt psu on
> > > its set of terminals, pins 1-7-8 aren't connected. It will bring
> > > up the leds according to the dir sigs, modulated by the % of pwm.
> > > The motor is not moving at up to about a 20% pwm at 10 kilohertz,
> > > and above 20%, it disables the outputs until a powerdown is done.
> > > I'm switching all the motor power off with the f2 key, so 15-20
> > > seconds off to let all the switchers bleed off seems to reset it
> > > ok. Pins 7-8 are sitting just a few millivolts above ground which
> > > looks duff to me since they have 3.3k on-board pullups to the 5

Not needed, I just uncovered a printout of the pdf, which clearly states
the two diag pins must be pulled high. See the top of page 7. So that is
mistake #1.  There are likely more. The .hal file is 17 landscape pages
long, 100% out of my ancient wet ram, and I have famously fat fingers.

> > > It does warm up when the output direction leds are lit, but
> > > nowhere near too hot. So I'd assume some current is flowing, just
> > > not enough to move the motor.
> > >
> > > Obviously I'm doing something wrong, but what?. Do I need +5 volts
> > > fed to pins 7-8?
> > >
> > > I am NOT impressed with the pushbutton terminals OLIMEX uses, they
> > > do not grab a wire heavy enough to carry the expected 10+ amps of
> > > currant to keep a good connection if the wire moves.  And its
> > > damned sure NOT a long term gas tight joint. I may yet pull them
> > > out and replace them with the green screw terminal plugs.
> > > Something I can put some serious torque on.
> > >
> > > The 150 watt audio class D can make quite an effective hand
> > > massager out of this motor at 20 hz, its dc powered and doesn't
> > > get warm doing it. The 430 watters need an AC supply, and don't
> > > work at all with DC from this supply fed to its FW bridge power
> > > input, so apparently it needs a balanced + and - supply. Either
> > > would need a d/a to feed a bypass the input hf pass filter that
> > > wants to protect the speakers. But other than a spinx1 that would
> > > be too slow, I don't have a D/A to drive them with. But its a
> > > thought and the 150 watter can seriously hammer that motor. So
> > > thats a potential what if.  :)
>
> Thanks Chris.
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett

 - Louis D. Brandeis