I'm looking for a USB <-> Serial chip (something similar to the FT232R or
CH340) that has an enable pin so it can be plugged into the computer's USB port
but not initiate the connection process until the enable pin is activated. One
possibility is to power up the widget, wait and then boot Linux but this is
prone to operator error. Or perhaps someone can suggest an alternate approach.

To explain:
I am building an Arduino controlled widget that requires a lengthy
initialization delay to home the axis and other tasks before it is ready to
"talk" to Linux. I want to leave it plugged into the computer's USB port but
unfortunately Linux boots before it completes initialization.