I’ve had a chance to do some reading.  In particular, I’ve been contemplating
Jon’s approach and the spindle component.  The manual is very interesting
because the spindle component seems to include most of the functionality I
need.  I was wondering if anyone has an example where they utilize the gears
parameter.  It seems that it allows negative gear ratios and scaling the
spindle.N.output by the selected gear ratio.  This would most likely solve the
forward/reverse problem as well as scaling for backgear without the need for a
mult or mux component to reverse the SSR’s for direction.  Manual link below
for reference:

http://linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/man/man9/spindle.9.html
<http://linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/man/man9/spindle.9.html>

Matt