I'm looking for advice on gear cutting.   I've got a low-end harbor freight
mill with a 4th axis added (actually a rotary table) and I want to cut some
module 0.5 spur gears.  I know that the smaller the gear the more precision
is required.    These need to be as strong as possible too.  They need to
survive impact loads. What's the best kind of steel to buy that gives a
combination of machinability on a small mill and strength.  I'll buy either
a set of involute cutters or a commercially made hob in 0.5 size.

Given my setup, a HF mill and manual (non-CNC) HF mini lathe which would
have the best result, a hob or an involute cutter?

The really hard part that I don't know how to do is a ring gear.   I can't
figure out how to cut internal teeth.   I might just buy these if they
can't be machined.

If this works I need about 60 total gears plus all the ones I used for
testing

Yes I can 3D print these but plastic would not be strong enough.

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California