THanks, all for you advice.   I think the best way to get a small ring gear
is to buy one.

What I'm doing is a design-study to find out the best kind of reduction
system.   Timing belts are very easy to use but sun/planet gears are far
more compact.   I want to make a machine, using machine-tool terminology it
will be a 12 axis system where every axis is rotary.   Using robotic
terminology it will be a quadruped where each leg has 3 degrees of freedom.
  My goal is to design something that can be made for under $100 per axis
($1,200 total cost)   This is actually possible but performance is poor. I
want both the < $100 cost and excellent performance.   I think it can be
done by using motors from quadcopter drones and then using a reduction
drive of 6 or 8 to 1.  Harmonic and cycloidic reduction drives are to slow
 6:1 or 10:1 should work.

The only way to know which design is best is to do multiple designs and
test simple prototypes.  One of the options is gears.