On Wednesday 14 April 2021 12:15:11 Chris Albertson wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 8:54 AM Thomas J Powderly <tjt...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > A few of the larger EDMs we built had 5meter leadscrews with dbl
> > nuts,
>
> That would fix the issue too.   They use two nuts with a spring
> between them.  It is really the same concept as oversized balls.  In
> both cases, the balls ride on the walls of the groove rather than the
> groove's bottom.
>
> Some day 100 years from now the ball screw on my mill z-axis might
> become worn but the screw is always in tension as it supports the
> weight of the milling head and motor so the balls ride on only the
> lower side of the groove and it will not matter much if the balls or
> groove is worn down over the years.   My 3D printer works the same way
> but with acme lead screws, only one side of the screw thread Is used,
> so there is never backlash when the direction of motion reverses.

I would not put much money on that, I've put a considerable amount of
time in getting an ender 3 to that state, they come with the rollers too
tight to allow gravity to have its way and in my case I also had to
loosen the right carriage roller plate from the bar after adding a wee
bit of tension on the rollers, loosen the bottom screws in the uprights,
ran the head down to help locate the uprights, tighten the upright
screws again, then the right roller plate to bar screws, then lift it to
the top and repeat the screw loosening and retightening to the top
screws. Much free-er feeling motion as the result.  And a bit of screw
goo on the screw helps. Powered off, just another ounce or two on the x
bar should make it fall.

 - Louis D. Brandeis