On Sunday 13 June 2021 12:24:12 Rafael Skodlar wrote:

> On 6/13/21 1:49 AM, John Dammeyer wrote:
> >> From: Andy Pugh [mailto:bodge...@gmail.com]

> >> I wouldn�t expect the 3B to work with Mesa Ethernet as the pre-4
> >> Pis have the Ethernet in the USB bus.
> >
> > I've also read that the Pi4 8GB is not ideal for LinuxCNC.
> > Apparently it has issues with that much memory on the Pi.  It works
> > best with 4GB apparently.
> >
> > John
>
> Huh? That makes no sense. If nothing else, you can use it for fake
> swap if nothing else.
>
> RPi is NOT good for any industrial use.

Scuse me while I get upset at a pack of lies promulgated by Rafael
Skodlar.

Tell that to my 75 yo Sheldon lathe, which is now being driven by a pi4b,
but which also worked well with the previous pi3b for a couple years,
and its doing stuff with only 2 motors, and NO compound and no taper kit
that it couldn't with an intact compound and a taper kit when it was
new, and doing it faster than any human could have done it 75 years
ago. 'Merican threads of any pitch and taper, ditto for Metric threads
of any pitch and taper. Correcting for bed wear dynamically as it moves.
Measuring (and correcting for it if you write it into the gcode, so no
more broken taps from hitting the bottom of a hole) overshoot at the
turn around (spindle reverse) point while its doing rigid tapping.  And
it does all this with months of uptime if I shut down the daily updates
since its is also building LinuxCNC from github/master, on the pi, for
the pi, installed on the pi at least daily.

> This thing is for kids to
> learn Linux and open source programming techniques. RaspberryPi PCB
> design is just bad for industrial use: holes for mounting, using glue
> for CPU heatsink, connectors positions and their orientation, sandwich
> style header connector for DIO, silicon waste (for sound and video
> IO), etc.
>
> To execute G-code using a large footprint computer makes no sense
> anymore. This open source based solution is gaining popularity for
> simple CNC:
> https://openbuildspartstore.com/interface/  and other related HW.

So thats why the derogatory post. You want to sell your little box.
I don't have a problem with that, beauty always being in the mind of the
beholder. NIH syndrome at its best.

But you have no excuse to lie and denegrate the pi's while doing it.

> Just the fact that Openbuilds is not using LinuxCNC is saying
> something. Dead end: no innovations, limitation in
> electronics/hardware selection.

 - Louis D. Brandeis