On Tuesday 29 June 2021 03:39:08 Robert Murphy wrote:

> Look John,
>
> Part of backlash towards the Code of Conduct in the beginning, I think
> it was 2018 that it really became public, was whether code was based
> on merit or who wrote it. Now that goes against the grain of OSS. I
> accept that my views can be a “bit out there”, but I wish no harm to
> anyone for any reason, with of course the exception of causing harm to
> those close to me, but when certain squeaky wheels start pushing their
> views and the law makers make laws because of their yells and screams
> I’ll  speak out.

As will I

> I agree the “too much help” bit is strange and is
> open to interpretation. On the web forums many times I and others have
> had to give instruction on basic Linux usage. Could this be seen
> beyond the scope of Linuxcnc support ? What about basic machining
> questions ?
> At the end of the day is it the recipient of such advice decides if it
> is too much ? Or is there something tangible that can be used as a
> yardstick ? Personally I rarely think much of where a person comes
> from when answering a query on the forum.I do try to guess their level
> of Linux experience when trying to help with hardware issues.

> When
> this was first announced on the forum I asked for my account to be
> deleted due to my opinions on the matter. Some more experienced and
> level headed members suggested “don’t be a rude dill” or something
> along those lines and you’ll be fine. Why have to mention certain
> “protected groups” , as has been used in common parlance and used in
> laws ? Why not just say don’t by a rude dill to anyone for any reason
> ? Then everyone knows to be decent to everyone else.
> As much as I may seem like a knuckle dragging bogan, sorry for the
> Aussie slang, I’m not. If someone needs help all I see them as is
> someone who needs help. Tho I will admit mistaking someone for being a
> scammer and being a smart alec. I was admonished and I’m a little bit
> dignified.
> Just to restate those that are suffering with issues have my sympathy,
> but those that use it as a cudgel and shield to bully others is not
> on. Everyone’s publicly made ideas, opinions and statements are open
> to criticism. Part of the Code of Conduct was to get more “minorities”
> into OSS projects. Whereas what is required is the best people suited
> to each project.

Absolutely. Like sitting milk, the cream of the expertise WILL rise to
the top. Our willingness to help those newbies about to do something we
know is unproductive or even dangerous, should not be used as a cudgel
against our further attempts to teach. That rule needs to go.

 - Louis D. Brandeis