The tool table menu doesn't show the XY values.  I can probably edit the
correct value in the tool table file and then restart LCNC but what the heck
did I do in the first place to set it?

I'm going to guess that when I clicked on set tool zero I had X radio button
clicked, not Z.   So it set an offset from something into the tool offsets.

I've tried loading tool 1 and using the above approach but it doesn't seem to
change X.