On 2021-07-28 18:25, Todd Zuercher wrote:

Is there any hope of repairing the table?  Are we going to have to
replace the whole table?  Could the crack be welded, or is that a bad
idea?  My main fear is that warpage issues will cause the linear
guides to bind.  (The table surface can always be re-milled flat.)
The crack isn't gaping or misaligned, and the table doesn't "look"
warped now that It's cool.

Todd,

On several occasions in the past I have had to make alterations to large aluminium mould tools for vacuum forming. When parts of the mould have been altered by welding, there can be distortion, although I suppose it depends on how the welding is done, and on whether the item is pre-heated and then cooled in a controlled way after welding (none of which was done by the company who did our welding). I have had much more success when I machined a part (usually a plate or a block) which was then attached by bolts to the main mould casting. If it was my table, I would bolt a thick aluminium plate under the crack, using aluminium bolts (specially made, in the case of my moulds) or stainless bolts (which work just fine, despite the moulds being repeatedly heated and cooled).

Regards,

Marcus