There has been some good info on how to build an encoder on this thread. My
concern is how to couple an encoder to my mill spindle. Due to the mill design
it doesn't seem feasible to attach the encoder directly to the spindle so I
will need to use a belt drive. The spindle runs at up to 10500 rpm. GT2 belts
are readily available and the SDP-SI website says that they can be used at up
to 7500 feet per minute. I believe that a 2-inch pulley spinning at 10000 rpm
would move the belt at about 5,200 fpm so somewhat below the maximum. Is there
a better belt choice?