On Thursday, 28 April 2022 17:43:01 EDT andrew beck wrote:
> Gene
> Just use a counter with classic ladder.
>
> Easy as

Never used classic ladder. Don't know anything about it, but I do know
hal pretty good, this counter and its friends are all in the hal file.

I just went out to check progress and found evidence it was out of synch,
which can only be mechanical. If the driver looses synch, it shuts down
So I took the drive apart and found it was being funkity again, had room
to skip a tooth now and then. So I'm making a new armature with about a .
1mm increase in diameter and another .1mm increase in eccentricity, which
should put a stop to the clicking sound of skipping a tooth.

This is my own design of harmonic drive based on the loose belt idea.
Since A: the used ones on ebay for $500 & have about all the goodie used
up, and B are way too big physically, and I didn't need the torgue one of
those can deliver, I thought I'd make my own little one on a 3d printer,
using crosman bb's for bearing balls. Total cost, about a $tenner.

The one I finished off yesterday already had a few thousand hours running
on my kitchen counter since last September, pretty good for a shade tree
project.

It had a 50/1 gearset in it but was a bit slow, so the guts I put back in
it were for a 40/1 ratio. But that change in the spline size, needed an
armature with a bit more eccentricity, and thats 3 hours later on the 3d
printer. That, and I've been playing with the roundness of the bb track
to move the pressure off the edges of the track which causes bearing race
splitting, putting the pressure closer to the center of the track, which
reduces the splitting forces on the races. But I overshot that a hair, so
this one is tweaked to fit the inner races .15mm tighter. That tweak
along with the teeny increase in the eccentricity should fix it for a
thousand or 3 hours. That limit will have been reached when the
eccentricity finally breaks the loose belt, a 5 minute life in PLA but
with the resiliance of PETG, quite a long time. 6 months running on my
kitchen counter, no belt breakage. bearing race failures have been it.

So, if you've the time, teach me how to use classic ladder for this.

Thanks Andrew.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis