On 2023-06-25 10:33, andrew beck wrote:
Adapter plate sounds easiest to me

+1 for an adapter plate; its much safer and also more versatile.
Have you thought of mounting the encoder parallel to the stepper, and using a small pulley and belt between the shafts. That might give you more mounting options.

Another option would be if the motor have long bolts running through from front to back, those could be extended to hold an adapter plate.

Or could the encoder be driven off the front of the motor, using the existing belt (if your setup uses one).

Marcus

On Sun, 25 Jun 2023, 21:01 andy pugh, <bodge...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, 25 Jun 2023 at 04:31, John Dammeyer <jo...@autoartisans.com>
wrote:

> Is there any reason I can't clamp the motor in a vice and pop in two
holes
> and tap them with a bottom tap at the spacing of the mounting flange?

I have done it in-situ, but there really isn't all that much metal in
there.

I think pulling the back cover off (leaving the rotor in place) and
choosing your mounting point carefully would probably be best.

Or, as Gene says, use the existing holes, very short screws, and an
adaptor plate.

--
atp
lunatics."