On 10/25/23 12:13, John Dammeyer wrote:
This might be a silly question but if you only want to move it one step then
does the step line stay high?  When does it go low?  After all the next step
might be in 30 minutes so should it go low in 15 minutes?  That's quite the
lookahead.
Enquiring minds wish to know.  ;-)
John

I'm going to take a SWAG john, and say that in all likelyhood, an incoming edge of either polarity will be a step. It really does not make any sense to this electronics guy, to do otherwise. You can generate them any way you want to, but given the speed limit imposed by the opto-isolaters used, effectively almost doubling the top speed of the motor. Given a high enough psu voltage of course.

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Wallace [mailto:p...@mesanet.com]
Sent: October 25, 2023 8:35 AM
To: Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Mesa Step Pulses?

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 15:15:36 +0000
From: Todd Zuercher <to...@pgrahamdunn.com>
To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-
us...@lists.sourceforge.net>

Peter,

Thanks, But is it even going to be worth the effort?  Since I'm sure the
regular minimum pulse length signal is still going to at least work
albeit
with some possible theoretical performance limitations.  I may not even
require step rates beyond where this is a non-issue?

Well since you can certainly get near square waves at the maximum speed
with the current setup, it doesnt seem that much is gained by always
having
square wave step signals, since the minimum timings are always met.

That said, there is an advantage of square wave outputs in simplifying
setup (since the step length and step space settings are unnecessary)

I've asked the drive manufacturer.  See if they get back to me.

Todd Zuercher
P. Graham Dunn Inc.
630 Henry Street
Dalton, Ohio 44618