> On May 1, 2024, at 8:55 AM, andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> I think that the attraction of the Beagleboard was that the PRU could be
> used for step generation and encoder counting.

This gets into the difference between a Linux PC and a microcontroller.    The
microcontroller has lots and lots of peripheral hardware, things like timers
and PM generators, and hardware quadrature decoding and D/A converts and
whatnot.   Whereas the typical PC only has “ports” that move data.     The
Beagleboard is kind of in the middle.   It is actually poor at doing either job
but the fact that it had real-time outpit pins made it really attractive.

There are some really exelent hardware platforms that could be used for LCNC
but who wants to get them to work when there are off-the-shelf solutions.
Saving $300 on the hardware is not attractive if you have to write the software
to make it work.

Look at this board.  It sells for $90 and could run LCNC.  It has a Raspberry
Pi equivalent that comes with Debian Linux installed, has 2 GB RAM and fast
32GB storage, and has 4 stepper moter drivers that are good for about 2 amps.
Really, this is a Pi4, with breakout and drivers for $90 and has a warranty and
some minimal level of customer support.    The problem is that the LCNC
ecosystem is not yet large enough to attract enough software developers to
write firmware for every “every chip in the world”. So we are kind of stuck
with what’s available now.