On 5/7/24 16:02, Todd Zuercher via Emc-users wrote:
The machine that I've been working on updating from 2.7 to 2.9 has hit a snag.
The one thing I didn't change now seems to be giving me the most trouble.

The machine has 8 vfds for running 8 router spindles, they are/were connected
to Linuxcnc using Mb2hal and a usb RS485 dongle.  It was working find on the
old pc running Ubuntu, RTAi, and Linuxcnc 2.7.  I copied the old mb2hal.ini and
it's associated hal file over to the new machine and added them to the config,
but I can not seem to establish communication between Linuxcnc and the drives.
Starting Linuxcnc from the terminal, and it pukes out this string of error
messages, so fast that I can't find any other possibly more informative error
messages further up the log, (beacaue I can't scroll past all this other junk.)
 My mb2hal config has 32 transactions, and there is an error msg like below for
each of the 32, then the list repeats ad nauseum.   Any one have any ideas
what's going on?  The PC is running Debian 12, with Linuxcnc installed from the
Debian repos.

mb2hal get_tx_connection ERR: mb_tx_num[0] mb_links[0] cannot connect to link,
ret[-1] fd[-1]
mb2hal get_tx_connection ERR: mb_tx_num[1] mb_links[0] cannot connect to link,
ret[-1] fd[-1]
mb2hal get_tx_connection ERR: mb_tx_num[2] mb_links[0] cannot connect to link,
ret[-1] fd[-1]
mb2hal get_tx_connection ERR: mb_tx_num[3] mb_links[0] cannot connect to link,
ret[-1] fd[-1]
mb2hal get_tx_connection ERR: mb_tx_num[4] mb_links[0] cannot connect to link,
ret[-1] fd[-1]
mb2hal get_tx_connection ERR: mb_tx_num[5] mb_links[0] cannot connect to link,
ret[-1] fd[-1]
mb2hal get_tx_connection ERR: mb_tx_num[6] mb_links[0] cannot connect to link,
ret[-1] fd[-1]
mb2hal get_tx_connection ERR: mb_tx_num[7] mb_links[0] cannot connect to link,
ret[-1] fd[-1]
mb2hal get_tx_connection ERR: mb_tx_num[8] mb_links[0] cannot connect to link,
ret[-1] fd[-1]

Moving the RS485 dongle back to the old pc and loading the mb2hal config there
gives no errors.  So it shouldn't be a hardware or config issue that I'm aware
of.  Did something significant change in mb2hal between 2.7 and 2.9 that would
require a change to the mb2hal configuration files?
Debian screwed the moose at debian 11, and it's not fixed until trixie.

Some how a copy paste left out the 2 udev lines that generate the /dev/serial/by-id to usb links. There a pinned patch for that on the discord/klipper forum that restores that.
<https://discord.com/channels/431557959978450984/431558939541241857>
Contains a link to the fix.
Todd Zuercher
P. Graham Dunn Inc.<http://www.pgrahamdunn.com/index.php>