On 5/10/24 19:44, Chris Albertson wrote:

On May 10, 2024, at 9:49 AM, gene heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:

On 5/10/24 11:25, Chris Albertson wrote:
Rsync will copy data at the file system level.    I think the OP wants to copy
the partition tables and boot sector.    But rsync can copy across a network
and is a decent way to make a backup of your data.
Clonzilla loks like it can work.  I’ve always used “dd” because it is a two
letter command and very easy to rember the exact spelling, and it just works.
 Clonzilla might be better for people who find it hard to type in long complex
commands like “dd” and prefer a menu-based system.

All good advice. Choose your favorite.  The one I miss is the one that can take
an arm64 install, with all the additions to do a job, and back it up over the
network to a file that only the total used on that arm64 system. one that can
then be copied to a fresh u-sd card of much greater capacity, and which will
then on first boot, expand the partitions to use all of the new u-sd cards
capacity. I've been using 64G cards and had had no losses. 16G cards are big
enough but have a lifetime of around a year. I have some 128G I'll use for the

Raspberry Pi5 can use PCIe storage, no SD card is needed.   Eventually, we will
all stop using SD cards for system drives.

I keep wanting to reconfigure my Pi4 to boot off the network with no SD card
installed.   The Pi3’s networking was too slow for this and the Pi5 does not
need it.  I might never get around to it.

So what I do today is a compromise.   I install Linux from an image file.  I
never store my data on the SD card.   data is NFS mounted from the network
server.   This also means the data is always available on my other computers.
I never have to move it. and if an SD card dies, nothing is lost.

I never have to backup an SD card.

Interesting concept. When I get time to concentrate on it. I'll probably pester you for details. Thanks Chris.

Cheers, Gene Heskett, CET.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis