> "Album artist sort" is taken from "TSO2" frame, which is not standard,
> but not necessarily controversial.  At least those two references
> mentioned in code (Foobar2000 and Picard) agree on it, as does
> https://id3.org/Developer%20Information
>
> I think taglib is going wrong here.

Maybe so, but in all the cases in my tests, it gives the "right" answer.
In the example I gave , it was part of a compilation with albumartist
"Various Artists" and I would expect albumartistsort to at least
approximately match.

> > 2. genre: emms-native-info yields things like "(16)" while
> > emms-print-meta-data gives things like "Reggae".
>
> This is nasty.  Those numbers are id3v1 genre indexes
> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ID3#Genre_list_in_ID3v1[12]).  Maybe we
> need to add id-to-string mapping for them.
>
> Are those genre numbers plain integers or are they enclosed in
> parentheses, quotes or something else?

Enclosed in parens: here is what emms-info-native--decode-into-fields
yields in one example:

(("year" . "2015")
 ("genre" . "(16)")
 ("discnumber" . "1/1")
 ("tracknumber" . "1/3")
 ("albumartist" . "Gregory Isaacs")
 ("artist" . "Godwin Logie")
 ("title" . "Poor Man in Love")
 ("album" . "Sly & Robbie Present Poor Man in Love EP"))

---Fran