Warren Wilkinson <warrenwilkin...@gmail.com> writes:

> Yoni Rabkin <y...@rabkins.net> writes:
>
>> What is the licensing situation surrounding this format? Has Nintendo
>> released the specifications under a free license?
>
> I don't think Nintendo authored the spec. I'll explain:
>
>>From what I gather, the data in an SPC file is a 64 kb memory dump of
> the audio chip on the SNES.
>
> I think that interested persons dumped this memory and then, wanting to
> organize and standardize their collections, evolved a small binary
> wrapper around it: http://www.snesmusic.org/files/spc_file_format.txt
> But I haven't been able to find the history of this file format.
>
> So basically the file is a well documented header of unknown origin
> prepended to a RAM dump of a chip.

Thank you for your patience on this.

I don't know if you are on the emacs-devel mailing list. In case you are
not, then here is what Richard Stallman wrote about the spc format:

    """ It is ugly, but it appears to be useful.  If the format is
    documented and there is free code that fits our requirements for
    using it, I think it is good to do so.  """

Therefore it is ok to include in Emms.