Thanks Patrick for getting us started on this exciting topic!

I am really thrilled that this week we have Jasmeen Bains, Yi Zhou and Jo
Simalaya Alcampo leading off the discussion. One of the great things about this
particular grouping is that Jasmeen and Yi's recent project "The Language of
Plants" resonates so well with Jo Simalaya's "Singing Plants Reconstruct
Memory."

Both projects sonify plants through electro-acoustic assemblages. And yet,
these interactive installation/performance pieces approach plants in very
different ways, and their works produce very different meanings and effects.
One project begins from the premise that plants generate their own sounds, just
outside of human perception, while the other engages the electro-conductivity
of plants to draw human sounds out of plant bodies.

Here are links to these different projects:

http://studioforlandscapeculture.com/The-Language-of-Plants
http://www.josimalaya.com/singing-plants.html

I wonder as a way of starting off the discussion, our artists might reflect on
the question of plant sonification. How do these works produce a kind of plant
vocality? Why bring sound and voice to plants? What does it mean to bring plant
soundings and responsivity into human perception? What are some of the
remarkable things you learned about plants both in making these works and in
sharing them with others?

I'm sure these questions will generate many more! Looking forward to following
how this unfolds!

best wishes,
Natasha

Natasha Myers
Associate Professor, Department of Anthropology | Convenor, Politics of
Evidence Working Group | York University
310 Bethune College, 4700 Keele Street, Toronto, Ontario  M3J 1P3 Canada | Tel.
(416) 736-2100 x 70660 | Fax (416) 736-5768 | nmy...@yorku.ca
Website | Plant Studies Collaboratory | Sensorium | The Technoscience Salon |
Politics of Evidence | The Write2Know Project