Murat, We're all pushing for a point of view that challenges the hegemony
of liberal humanism. I certainly think a turn to the nonhuman is an
excellent approach. Methodologically it's a major intervention. It raises a
series of important questions, and I am always happy to gleefully engage
those important questions. But I wonder, too, if we can truly understand
the other, in its own terms, as you suggest, and whether our desire to do
so is not simply a symptom of our own humanity. As you say, we are bound by
our own humanity, and the result will remain human. I wonder, then, what
those boundaries mean for trying to understand the nonhuman. Can it ever
mean we access the nonhuman on its own terms? Does the plant "care" (so to
speak) that we want to understand it? Or is this turn to the nonhuman still
ultimately about humans/ humanity? Doesn't it speak more to our own wants,
desire, needs? Does it/ can it speak to/ for/ with the plant? It's an
ontological question. Perhaps the plant is totally subaltern?

Patrick Keilty
Assistant Professor
Faculty of Information
Bonham Centre for Sexual Diversity Studies
University of Toronto
http://www.patrickkeilty.com/