sounds they make, are they programmed by you? Could you elaborate? Are
these sounds generated are by the leaves or programmed by you and go
through the leaves' mediation?"

> I have programmed the sounds.  During my research process, I travelled to
the Cordillera mountain region of the Philippines to meet with indigeneous
elders, scholars and what Katrin Guia names as "Culture Bearers".  My
purpose was to inquire how artists can incorporate an ethical code of
conduct when working with Indigeneous Knowledges Systems and Practices
(IKSP).

I was able to listen and get permission to make sound recordings of the
Hudhud, an epic chant sung by the Ifugao People to mark harvest season,
deaths, and other historical events. I also recorded indigenous instruments
made of brass and bamboo materials. Those are the sounds that play when
people reach out to the plants. This action is a metaphor for a
reconnection to our indigenous selves. Author and educator Lee Maracle of
the Sto:loh Nation, teaches that language and culture are never truly
lost.  We are simply disconnected.  One strategy is to learn the
socio-political reasons why we are disconnected then reach out with one
word, one vowel, one sound.

Some people need to actually touch the plant to make a connection; some can
just hover above the plant; *some can just enter the room and the plants
immediately start to sing.*"
In the case of people who when entering the room the plants immediately
start to sing, do plants stop singing when the same people leave the room?"

> Yes, in one instance I was showing the exhibition in a closed space at
OCADU.  I was standing a few feet away from the plants talking to a group
of students visiting for our annual graduate exhibition.  The plants were
not singing.

A woman entered the doorway, which was about 10 feet away from the plants,
and all the plants immediately started singing.  We all turned to her in
surprise.  She stepped backwards because she thought she was interrupting a
presentation, and the plants stopped singing.

I invited her inside the room.  She entered and the plants started singing
and explained my project.  She laughed and explained that she is a Reiki
practitioner who has developed her energy field to radiate widely outside
her body.  That is how she moves in the world.

This made me consider how plants may be able to radiate their field of
communication in ways that are invisible and inaudible to most people.