Greetings to everyone.

Thank you for the kind invitation to contribute to this conversation,
Renate and Tim. I, too, have been a lurker most often on the stimulating
conversations held in this ‘space’!

And I am very excited that the upcoming exhibition at Hunter College will
honor ETC, its collection and important history. So, this is great timing
to flesh out some thoughts about where we have come from and where we
might go in the area of video art, moving image, digital film ... what
name do we have for it all today??

A bit of background: I have been involved with video art since the 1970s -
making artwork, curating, working for other artists in some form of
production or post-produciton, teaching production, writing, archiving. In
the 1970s I was working with portapaks and 1/2” reel to reel decks. I
remember the insanely glitchy editing process - where you had to manually
back up the two decks 5 seconds back and then start them both (somehow) at
the same time and ‘crunch’ in your ‘insert’ or 'assemble’ edit - that
usually left a jumpy mess in the middle of your program. But it was still
great! And now today as the ‘glitch’ and ‘erasures’ are embraced - this
looks like the golden days of being able to play with the tape sync and
skew things with just a turn of the knob. At SUNY Buffalo, where I was a
graduate student, Stein Vasulka taught us all a great trick of how to play
a tape and ‘delay’ it by looping it around the heads of two decks at once.
She was also a wizard at feedback and was thrilled at all of us bringing
our various feedback experiments to her!

I say all this because I am constantly reminded of how much we were inside
the machine in those days. Working with analog video pretty much
guaranteed that you also learned something about the mechanics and
electronics of the gear you were working with - to clean it, to tweak it,
to make effects, to understand the signal and way things were recorded,
etc.

I was excited when we released our book, The Emergence of Video Processing
Tools: Television Becoming Unglued, (which I was lucky enough to co-edit
with Sherry Miller Hocking and Mona Jimenez) that many younger artists
today actually understood this kind of involvement with making video - the
‘maker’, DIY trends today make this older analog version of production a
good kissing cousin to today’s Arduino boards, controllers, MAX/Jitter
etc.

In fact, we found that while our book was two volumes in length - we still
need to continue discussions with makers today, looking at similar
practices, ways to exchange technical information, thinking about systems
and more.  ‘Real time’ practices from analog video necessitated
performative interactions with the tools - similar to ways current digital
artists play their tools in live settings. Sherry and I are trying to
develop a website to further bring together video image toolmakers to
continue to share their developments and their peaks behind the curtain,
into the machine.

Sherry spoke about the importance of the preservation of early video
histories - (thank you Sherry - I am forever grateful to your commitment
to that archiving and storage!)
Interestingly, video artists have always been the ones who have been most
keenly aware of the fragility of their material. In the 1980s and 90s when
we would hear friends say how happy they were that they transferred all of
their family 8mm films to VHS, we video artists would laugh and tell them
that VHS had a 5-10 year shelf life! Even with the ease and cheapness of
videotape at that point in time, we still thought of it as an ephemeral
and temporary medium. A way to record time - to capture and document
moments as they unfold… a brilliant way to think about the fragility of
our lives, our time…

I was working on a project last week (and I stumble to find the right name
for it as I sometimes still call my projects ‘videotapes’), I had to
locate a camera that could transfer some digital tape that I had shot to
incorporate with my DSLR files. As I logged and captured the tape I was
struck with the difference of process - over real time - interlace vs
progressive, a kind of analog tape vs my digital off-loading of files. It
occurred to me that I might not have that experience much more going
forward (besides preservation work): the frustrations of watching your
camera errors and off-mic moments, as it played back in front of you in
real time. The re-living of the recording process that took place before
me was somehow more ‘a-live’ (or maybe I am being nostalgic) - and
reminded me of the long way we have come with this medium we sometimes
call video.

More thoughts to come…
thanks! Kathy

On 9/10/15, 11:56 PM, "Timothy Conway Murray"
<empyre-boun...@lists.artdesign.unsw.edu.au on behalf of t...@cornell.edu>