Renate and I want to thank Lynn Sachs and Alan Sondheim for stimulating a
provocative discussion of the toggles between analogue and digital.  Their
own work has been at the forefront of conceptual and narrative
experimentations with mixed medial formats, and we're appreciative of
their very thoughtful reflections on their work and processes.

On Thursday we will celebrate the opening of the ETC show at Hunter
College in New York City, compromised of ETC tapes and ephemera held in
the Rose Goldsen Archive of New Media Art. If you can brave the gridlock
caused by the Pope and his politician buddies from the UN, we hope to see
you down in the artsy quiet of Tribeca on Thursday night.

This week were are happy to feature two artists who have been prominent
over the years of ETC, Peer Bode and Benton C Bainbridge, as well as
Deborah Bernagozzi and Jason Bernagozzi who have picked up the ETC
tradition through their residency program, also in tiny Owego, New York,
Signal Culture.  Jason worked with Dave Jones to design a emulated Paik
'wobbulator' that will be on display in the Hunter College show (which
runs through November).  Also joining us is one of the preeminent
theoreticians of video art and cinema, Maureen Turim from the University
of Florida.  It was Maureen, during her years as a film professor at SUNY
Binghamton, who first took me over to Owego for a screening at ETC in the
waning months of the 1970s where I was stunned by the creative
abstractions pulsating before my wide eyes.  So it's with particular
pleasure that we welcome Maureen to -empyre- within the broader interface
that is ETC Today.

BENTON C BAINBRIDGE (US) is a media artist based in the Bronx. Working
with custom systems of his own design,
Bainbridge creates  immersive environments, interactive installations and
digital time-based artworks. He is best known for his visual performance
projects, both solo and in collaboration with a wide range of artists,
from pop musicians to underground legends. Bainbridge's commitment to
real-time
processes was nurtured through numerous residencies, and with the support
of, Experimental Television Center. Career highlights include video art
and VJ'ing
for two Beastie Boys world tours, analog video synthesizer FX for TV On
The Radio's "Staring at the Sun" music video, and Whitney Museum's
best-attended live event with video ensemble The Poool. Bainbridge's work
is being presented in THE EXPERIMENTAL TELEVISION CENTER: A HISTORY,
ETC . . . AN EXHIBITION AT HUNTER COLLEGE ART GALLERY. Examples of
Bainbridge's live video collaborations will be exhibited in the HCAG.
Benton will also conduct a video synthesis workshop for ETC, then perform
audiovisuals in collaboration with PhillipStearns.
Artistwebsite: bentoncbainbridge.com
Wikipedia article: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benton_C_Bainbridge

Debora Bernagozzi is a video artist and photographer. She received her BFA
in Video from the Atlanta College of Art in 1999 and her MFA in Electronic
Integrated Art from Alfred University in 2002. Her work has been exhibited
in the US and internationally. She participated in repeated residencies at
the Experimental Television Center and was awarded a Regional Artist
Access Residency from Squeaky Wheel Media Arts Center. Bernagozzi and her
husband were honored to be artists in residence in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
in January 2012, co-sponsored by the Kuala Lumpur Experimental Film and
Video Festival and Multimedia University. She is Co-Founder and Executive
Director of Signal Culture, an experimental media arts organization that
offers residencies, resources, and exhibition opportunities.

Jason Bernagozzi is a video, sound and new media artist living and working
in upstate New York and is the co-founder of the experimental media arts
non-profit Signal Culture. His work has been featured nationally and
internationally at venues such as the 2015 ACM SIGGRAPH exhibition
"Enhanced Vision - Digital Video", the European Media Arts Festival in
Osnabruk, Germany, the LOOP Video Art Festival in Barcelona, Spain, the
Beyond/In Western NY Biennial in Buffalo, NY, and the Yan Gerber
International Arts Festival in Hebei Province, China. His work has
received several awards including grants from the New York State Council
for the Arts, free103point9 and the ARTS Council for the Southern Finger
Lakes. He is an Assistant Professor of Digital Media & Animation at Alfred
State College.

http://www.seeinginvideo.com <http://www.seeinginvideo.com/>
http://www.signalculture.org <http://www.signalculture.org/>

MAUREEN TURIM (US) is professor of Film and Media Studies in the
Department of English at the University of Florida has published three
books, The Films of Oshima Nagisa. Images of a Japanese Iconoclast,
Berkeley: University of California Press 1998; Flashbacks in Film: Memory
and History, New York: Routledge, 1989; andAbstraction in Avant-Garde
Films, Ann Arbor: UMI Research Press 1985  She is currently finishing
Desire and its Renewal in
the Cinema.   She has published over 100 essays in journals and books  on
theoretical, historical and aesthetic issues in cinema and video, art,
cultural studies, feminist and psychoanalytic theory, and comparative
literature.

Timothy Murray
Professor of Comparative Literature and English
Taylor Family Director, Society for the Humanities
http://www.arts.cornell.edu/sochum/
Curator, Rose Goldsen Archive of New Media Art
http://goldsen.library.cornell.edu
A D White House
Cornell University,
Ithaca, New York 14853