Thanks Tim for inviting us back to empyre! Debora and I are getting
everything ready for tomorrow evening and will be traveling with Dave Jones
early in the morning to give us plenty of time in case the Pope's visit to
NYC is as much of a logistical nightmare as we fear it may be.

Like Benton, I am certain that without being exposed to the Experimental
Television Center by Debora, I would not be making media art, or any visual
art at all. In the early 2000's, I was an experimental sound artist and was
not particularly interested in art or video because I has this
preconception that it had to do with the dominant media culture that my
work at the time was rallying against.

I met Debora in Ithaca, NY shortly after she graduated with her MFA from
Alfred University, where she studied under Peer Bode, Andrew Deutsch and
Darrin Martin. She would tell me all these stories about how you could
visualize sound using analog video synthesizers without needing a camera
and it peaked my curiosity. ETC's International Student Workshop, which was
a 12 day for-credit summer course run by Hank Rudolph and Pamela Sue
Hawkins in conjunction with Alfred University, was my introduction to the
philosophy and process of making experimental media art. I am not using the
term philosophy lightly. There is something about the openess of the tools
found at the center that shook me to the core. This was not a question
about aesthetics or falling victim to amazement, it has to do with choice.

These tools have an inherent trait that is rarely found in modern
computing: the ability to make both good and bad choices. They were built
to maximize variability. That is not to say that we don't have some amazing
tools today to create work digitally, but the philosophy behind the
architecture built into most software is simply to distrust the user and to
create a lack of choice. They are designed to be closed systems for a
specific purpose. There are limitations to Photoshop, After Effects, and
other industry standard tools in both how they function but also how they
relate to other competing software systems. This is not an uncommon trait
in industry, the old television station switchers were also using
oscillators to perform standardized wipes yet had no way of modifying that
preset. The big difference when you went to the center was that you had to
make some choices and those choices could go nowhere. That is entirely
refreshing, especially in an age where Apple products are becoming more and
more limiting, training us to be "users" of their closed and proprietary
systems (and that term is not accidental, mind you).

The simple fact is that neither Debora or I would be where we are at
personally or professionally without the ETC. Signal Culture, while a
different organization with different goals from ETC, simply would not
exist. It was a place that taught so many generations of artists that media
tools are still about process, that the electronic image is intangible yet
it is material.

I will post again when we are at the opening, have to rest up for the long
journey tomorrow.