Sally, thank you for your very probing post.

It is very interesting to me that you locate the crucial "glitch" in the
transfer of the analogical to the digital in the movements of the body, in
the gravity that runs through it. Gravity and perhaps space (as *physical*
distance) are the two dimensions absent in the digital world.

I think your observation has wider significance beyond only dance. Enough
numbers of years have passed since, for economic, political/democratic and
artistic reasons, films have began to be shot digitally. Now there is a
significant sample of what Deleuze calls "movement image" films (Hollywood
blockbusters and "Netflix originals" that Netflix is now bombarding us with
are good examples) that we can compare them to earlier films. To me, two
qualities stand out. Totally digital films (particularly those produced for
popular consumption) are saturated with a sickly intensity of color as if
one is looking at images through gook. The other is that they all look like
they are shot with a wide screen lens. The space is flattened. Wide screen
shots may be used to powerful effect, as for instance Orson Welles does in
Touch of Evil in places. But if used as a standard, the impact is
different. I find the images in these films extremely claustrophobic. I
feel like I am entering a mental and visual jail in a computer game that I
do not particularly enjoy.

I focused on "movement image" films because, discussing the body's
gravity-bound movements in dance, Sally touched on an important issue. Are
we "translating" the analogical to the digital or are we creating totally
something else?

Sally, what do you think of the film Red Shoes?

Ciao,
Murat