Here's my resolution:

“From Data Preserves to Dépense without Reserve”

Although collaborations like the End of Term Harvest
<http://eotarchive.cdlib.org/> have already started preserving government
websites from the vicissitudes of administration change, we might want to
revisit the question of digital memory and digital archives in general.  Not
only do we need archives, but archives also need us.  On this issue, two books
(among many others) to consider:
Wolfgang Ernst, Digital Memory and the Archive
<https://www.upress.umn.edu/book-division/books/digital-memory-and-the-archive>
Abby Smith Rumsey, When We Are No More: How Digital Memory is Shaping Our Future
<http://www.bloomsbury.com/us/when-we-are-no-more-9781620408025/>

The perils of digital memory intersect with the question of the anthropocene as
environmental data—climate change data at NASA and EPA data among others—appear
to be at risk in the transition to a new governmental administration.   On the
one hand, we have—just this afternoon—websites newly “archived” in the sense of
deleted:
<http://motherboard.vice.com/read/all-references-to-climate-change-have-been-deleted-from-the-white-house-website>.
  And, on the other, websites newly archived in the sense of “transitioned”:
<https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/blog/2017/01/17/obama-administration-digital-transition-moving-forward>.
  If digital archives once had the role of preserving analogue materials and
born-digital materials, now these same archives are at risk.  In particular,
climate-change data and digital archives connected to the environment need
their own refuge.  In 2017, we must not only rally for nature reserves and
nature preserves; we must also consider the question of “Data Reserves” and
“Data Preserves.”

Last month, Professors Michelle Murphy and Patrick Keilty organized a data
rescue event at the University of Toronto called “Guerilla Archiving: Saving
Environmental Data from Trump,” during which data entities were captured,
sorted, and seeded to The Internet Archive <https://archive.org/>.
In partnership with the Environmental Data & Governance Initiative
<https://envirodatagov.org/>, the University of Pennsylvania also hosted a data
rescue event (“DataRescuePhilly”), which included an environmental justice
teach-in on DataRefuge <https://www.datarefuge.org/>, a refuge for vulnerable
environmental data, a creative coding and archive-a-thon (downloading and
uploading datasets, feeding and seeding DataRefuge), and finally a walk through
the “archive-as-mobile-installation” “Date/um,” which explored the Schuylkill
River as archive, a fluvial archive and digital river.
DataRescueIndy says it plans to “rescue climate and environmental data stored
on government servers: they need to be stored elsewhere to ensure continued
open access.”
DataRescueChicago says it will “identify, back-up, and help to preserve at-risk
climate and environmental data resources before they are suppressed from public
view and use.”
DataRescueUCLA, another climate data protection event, calls on “allies in data
collection and archiving” to “proactively archive public environmental data”
<http://www.climatedataprotection.net/>

Despite the leadership of these important initiatives, the recent article “Down
with data! Sagas are more likely to save earth” suggests that we need more
stories not more data to deal with various planetary and environmental crises.
Likewise, “Environmental Data, Guerilla Archiving, and the Trump Transition,”
cautions: “One might argue that the #DataRescue project is a defensive effort
meant to prop up the status quo, namely, the prominent role of data in
neoliberal environmental governance.”  Although it might be important to
question the fetishization of data, the recent announcement that the new
administration plans to cut the National Endowment for the Arts and the
National Endowment for the Humanities signals that the arts and humanities are
at risk as well as “data.”  And, we should not assume that environmental data
are the only data at risk: new media archives, digital art archives, and
perhaps any archive with a transgressive or progressive character might be in
jeopardy from repressive strategies of all sorts, from defunding to deletion.
Just as the environmental “data at risk” anxiety seems to be materializing
within one hour of the inauguration
<https://techcrunch.com/2017/01/20/the-official-white-house-website-has-dropped-any-mention-of-climate-change/>
 so too is there no time to lose to protects arts and humanities archives.

The University of California has an extensive Nature Reserve system; it is now
perhaps time for a Data Preserve System.  Just as environmental activists urge
us to save species that are on the edge of extinction, so too must we save or
preserve archives: digital archives matter.  Yet, there are many different ways
to hack the archive.  Artists and experimental media people have their own way
of saving data: experimental art and new media projects are the favored mode of
The Media Ecology Lab.  In February, we will hold a workshop on nature
preserves and data preserves: “Data Preserves: Digital Conservation and Earth
Ecologies.”
<https://www.facebook.com/MediaEcologyLab/>
<http://www.ucnrs.org/reserves/steeleburnand-anza-borrego-desert-research-center.html>

The idea for The Media Ecology Lab was sparked several years ago when UC Irvine
acquired some reserve property in the Anza Borrego desert.  The idea was
simple: environmental biologists and social ecologists are not the only
stakeholders with regard to so-called natural reserve systems.  Arts and
humanities affiliates theorize and deploy critical practices when it comes to
questions concerning the anthropocene and our planet's hybrid techno-vivaria.
During winter semester 2014 at Cornell University, students from my “Media
Ecology and the Anthropocene” seminar helped map out (from their snowy vantage)
a vision for The Lab:
<https://www.facebook.com/Media-Ecology-and-the-Anthropocene-224318881064683/>
During summers 2014 and 2015, the seminar was revamped for students at UC
Irvine as “Media Ecologies of the Anthropocene.”  I taught this class remotely:
some weeks from Ithaca NY and some weeks from California’s Anza Borrego desert.
 Although students were interested in the possibility of visiting the sublime
desert research center, they were even more enthusiastic about the
possibilities of experimenting with webcams, remotely controlled robotic
apparatuses, and other internetworked technologies, along the lines of these
notable projects:
Telegarden: <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbyy5vSg8w8>
Silent Barrage: <http://silentbarrage.com/>

The Media Ecology Lab is a place in the Anza Borrego desert, but it is also a
place in what Jean Baudrillard, a long time ago, called “the desert of the
real.”  The Lab hopes to navigate these two deserts with wayfarers from the
arts, humanities, and science and technology studies.  This February we will be
setting up our first sound ecology project at the desert research center: sound
feed from the desert basin floor and the rocky crags will be piped to Cornell's
Lab of Ornithology for spectrographic analysis.  If anyone is interested in
visiting during this time (or for inquiries about future media ecology
experiments and retreats), please contact me at:

<obod...@uci.edu>
<em...@cornell.edu>

Regards,
Erin Obodiac