QUOTE The American Dream is back. President Donald Trump says so. Once
again every American, regardless of background, race, gender or education,
can, through sheer hard work, make it to the very top and become rich.
Did the idea of the America Dream, in which nothing is impossible as long
as you work hard, evolve with the 'founding fathers' of the nation? Is it
intrinsic to the country's identity?
Professor Sarah Churchwell argues that the American Dream is much younger
than we realise, and it was born as a response to the 'Roaring Twenties'
and the devastating stock market crash of 1929, and Depression that
followed.
She uses history, literature and music to explore the original meaning of
The American Dream - which was an appeal for much more modest dreams of a
better life for all, not riches for some.

Producer; Shabnam Grewal
Editor: Penny Murphy.

28 March 2017 and 2 April 2017 BBC Radio 3

MP3 podcast 33.5 Mb

fron http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08k2fmj