Hi Susan and all,

Thanks for your responses, and I love this exciting list of works that Susan offers, alongside others! Many thanks to Davin, Babak, and Murat for your sharing of poetics, and resources. I'm interested in discussing further, the emphasis on form/interface as (robopoetics) and cinema. I also loved teaching Larissa Lai's Automaton Biographies, and it does pair splendidly with Blade Runner! Brian Kim Stefan's work is always exciting and generative to me, along with other writing on Electronic Poetry, such as New Media Poetics etc.

I am also interested in whether you can speak to your work on Eduardo Kac, and the bio in robo? That intersection is very exciting to me, and enjoyed engaged with your writing on Kac.

In terms of cinema, I taught a Fembot in Cinema course twice, and while I didn't include a lot of poetry, students were assigned patron robot artists and poets. The films we watched, Metropolis, Her, Ex-Machina, and Blade Runner, all embodied a poetics, but different of course, from poetry. So Im interested in what is similiar or different in terms of pedagogy when teaching this work.

What struck me was the literature courses I taught on robots, and the cinema courses both had a kind of excitement, not only from me, but from the students. Also a sensibility for those interested in robot poetics..

I think perhaps then, perhaps the science fictional must enter the conversation, and the pedagogical possibilities of SF when introduced into the classroom. By nature, robots seem to open up another dimension of learning for students, to think beyond the binary constructions of identity, which to me, feel pedagogically purposeful. Perhaps also to think about the future. It's something I've observed in these courses of primarily literature, and the other cinema.

I also wonder, is there something particular about robots within poetry? Perhaps it goes back to thinking of the genre of science fiction poetry? And how do we tease out electronic literature, as certainly machine poetics, but may not include robots? I think about the Young Hae Change Heavy Industries:

http://www.yhchang.com/THE_STRUGGLE_DANCE_VERSION.html

http://www.yhchang.com/CUNNILINGUS_IN_NORTH_KOREA.html

Certainly electronic literature, and new media art, but may not include robots? It is interesting to think of the grounding work that should happen to help students prepare when encountering electronic literature/new media art, and poetry of robots, or robopoetics...

I wonder if we think about the grounding work one often does to prepare students in their engagement with these "texts," or not?

"And there is the short film for the lyrics of "Many Moons,'" set amid an updated slave auction,
where Janelle Monae presses a button at her neck to change the skin
color of her android character. Studying robot poetics and robot
subjectivity becomes a way of talking about fights for civil rights,
human rights--and the interpretation of documents from the Declaration
of Independence to the U.N. Convention on the Rights of the Child."

I also love that you, bring up "Many Moons," and how Monae utilizes the cyborg in powerful ways around Black racialization and subjectivity, which leads us into thinking about gender too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHgbzNHVg0c

It leads me into thinking about the pedagogical interventions of teaching about robots, in the context of civil rights and equality. Do others find this a generative pedagogical intervention as well? Also, for those actively creating, another question: when was your first time writing forms of robopoetics, how did it happen?

best,

Margaret