As someone who feels far afield from either robots or poetry per se
but who is completely won over by this notion of "robopoetics" (among
other notions that've come up), let me first give my word of thanks
for how much I've learned from you already. I work in narrative,
which, far more so than poetry, has been entrenched in liberal
humanist and anthropomorphic discourses. Which, in the classroom,
means that I'm always working to help my students disarticulate their
values from empathy, voice, la di da. To continue thinking on
Margaret's notion of defying categorization, I'm wondering why and how
poetry (which for most English departments is perhaps the most
categorical and hidebound genre) holds pride of place in expressing a
kind of fugitive robotic ethos. I'm especially curious how the
visuality of, say, film (where we find the fembots of the cultural
imaginary) intersects with the robopoetic.

My own teaching (and research) is more oriented toward the anti-human
than the robotic per se. So I'm glad that Susan and others have
brought "bio poetry" into play -- where, it seems, bio- could
articulate itself in the graphic register of bio-graphy or poses the
species question of bio-logy. I recently taught Bhanu Kapil's
Humanimal alongside Michael Ondaatje's Anil's Ghost, which was a way
of helping my students think together human, animal, and machine. Our
conversations ended up landing on a few things that may be pertinent
here:

One was how non-linguistic expression work on and against
literature/literacy and how we must now ask another question than "Can
the Subaltern Speak?" (which we'd read at the beginning of the
course). Perhaps in relation to poetry, I'm wondering how Ian Bogost's
understanding of lists (the Latour litany) as
anti-humanist/anti-hermeneutic gestures (a "bestiary" of
incommensurable "things") might work against the desire for
expressivity. (create your own Latour Litany here:
http://bogost.com/writing/blog/latour_litanizer/)

Our class also contemplated how to bring nonhuman bodies to bear on
race and gender, specifically in relation to corporeality. I'm
intrigued by Anne Cheng's work on racial skin and surfaces, which
explode the demarcations of the body's boundaries altogether and, at
times, suggests that there may not in fact be a body. There's also
something like a techno-body in how Krista Thompson conceives of
"shine" as a way that the black body both registers and resists
technological capture via videography. Somewhat related to Margaret's
Radio Heart, I'd like to forward the questions of touch, intimacy, and
reciprocity/responsiveness. I've been thinking about touch screens
lately, buttons that offer vibrational responses, and am curious about
other ways, both mundane and extraordinary, that structure our
techno-intimacies.