Hello Byron,

Thank you for the thoughtful reply and reflection. In your thoughts I recognize
some subjects from past empyre discussions about questions surrounding
political efficacy. It resonates with me that you claim so strongly the
importance of subversion as a strategy or tactic, while also taking care about
the claims you might make for the political effects of subversive acts.

I hear in your comments an implicit reminder that the use of particular tactics
or approaches are important to the formation of the person adopting those
approaches, regardless of their external impact. I so enjoyed, in my viewing of
your presentation at CAA, for example, your use of powerpoint aesthetics and
rhetorics of science and marketing. I recall a kind of queering of scientific
and medical "acronym-speak" that must also just help open up the world for you.

This then reminds me that the rhetorics and tactics of climate-change-deniers
are equally concerned with the formation of speaking and knowing subjects as
with the influence of shared civic discourse or priorities.

I first got interested in science studies through reading histories of 20th c.
communication technology connected to 19th c vaudeville and magic (J.Sconce,
Crary, Leigh Eric Schmidt, etc). Such geneologies helped me see how
subjectivity and sensation get shaped through both the depictions of science
and the application of science to new sensory possibilities.

In that light, it would be interesting to put the visual and linguistic
rhetorics of bio-hacking art practices next to depictions of biology across
recent television crime serials or home gene-testing kits like 23 and me, etc,
and then again next to the rhetorics applied in depictions of forensic science
associated with national trauma (as in Central and South America).

Perhaps we're getting a bit away from climate change as the main site for
thinking about the rhetorics of FAKE NEWS in light of aesthetic subversion, but
it seems to me that among the greatest contributions of these artists are their
invitation to see the staging of scientific certainty not "hoax reveal" but as
a way of shining light on our own processes of formation.

Kevin

PS - I could say similar things about humor I'm sure Renate - as we know that
humor is as much for the joke-teller as for the hearer...