Dear fellows I was thinking about how to start this week. It has been a lot of
interesting things discussed here and I remembered the time I spent in jail
four years in the 70.
During the four years I was in prison we were feed with fake news we didn't
have access to newspapers or to radio or to tv. The only scarce news come
through the short visits of our relatives and lawyers heavy monitored by
soldiers and recorded by cameras.
Yesterday was the 44th anniversary of the state coup and I was already in jail.
During a day we listened in the loudspeakers military march music and the
speech of the Junta leaders who justified the coup arguing they needed free
hands to fight the leftist guerrilla and defend the democracy.
It was bad rethoric and it was a part of the Cold War being fought between US
and Soviet. Uruguay Chile and Argentina were proxy wars and the victims were
civilians trade union leaders students.
They told us Brasil was going to invade us and they asked us to be prepared and
take weapons if our jails were compromised.
News and rumours were part of the propaganda strategy they needed to establish
as truth bearers.
Our families were the receptors of fake news as well someday they called home
to our relatives and they said we were dead killed in a riot other days we were
shot on the run when we tried to escape.
Fake news were powerful weapons of destruction at that time.
Ana Valdes

Enviado desde mi iPhone