February 3, 2018
Hello Theresa,
Your comment echoes what Tim Murray, our other long -term moderator here, and I
have been hearing from so many of our subscribers.  The tempo of the listserv
can move exceedingly too fast.  We all can acknowledge that there are times we
just don’t have the time to open and read posts carefully let alone respond to
them.  The bio-artist Paul Vanouse shared with me his frustration that he had
intended to respond to a fascinating post and by the time he got to writing a
week had passed and he felt that his comment was not timely. Alternatively,
there are other times when it moves at a snail’s pace or simply remains silent.
 Over the years we have become quite comfortable with the pacing that is so
inherent in a listserv which is so directly related to the ebbs and flows of
those who are participating.  That is also why we often take the months of
August and December completely off.

I want to add that the anxiety of some over responding to a post later in the
week or month is not a problem.  Take a look at our archives and you will see
that the discussion is organized according to SUBJECT, AUTHOR, THREAD, or DATE.
 The THREAD organizational tool allows a reader now or later or organize posts
and responses to posts that are delayed.  The only caveat being that we cut off
all posts not related to the topic at the end of the month. All of our
subscribers are encouraged to respond to posts at any time in the month just be
sure subject line in the email is identical to the thread it is in response to.

You wrote
I prefer Empyre as a listserve. I have gone back through previous
discussions and looked up artists, followed threads and ideas when I
had time. I've gone deeper; the list moves fast for me.

I think that everyone agrees that our archive is the jewel of our online
community.
http://lists.artdesign.unsw.edu.au/pipermail/empyre/
Since 2002 the University of New South Wales in Australia has generously hosted
our history thanks to Melinda Rackham.  Tim Murray and I are also suggesting to
our Editorial Board that in the coming year we archive the site at Cornell
University as well within the Rose Goldsen Archive of New Media Art.  –empyre-
soft-skin space reflects the emergence of technology and how artists and
writers use and think through technology.  One of the things our Editorial
Board will also be working on is a KEYWORDING system that searches the entire
eighteen years of discussion topics and is not just monthly.

You mentioned FACEBOOK.  To subscribers not following us on Facebook here is
the link.  While it is public you must request to actually post directly.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/empyrelistserv

And on Twitter
https://twitter.com/empyrelistserv

Just a reminder that although  snip its of posts and photos are launched
through Facebook and Twitter, the full discussion and its archive can only be
accessed by becoming a subscriber through our website.

Thanks Teresa for responding about how slowness even works today.
I am about to post a bit about the nuts and bolts of Melinda’s early coding of
–empyre-soft-skinned space in a few minutes.
Renate

Renate Ferro
Visiting Associate Professor
Director of Undergraduate Studies
Department of Art
Tjaden Hall 306
rfe...@cornell.edu

On 2/3/18, 11:39 AM, "empyre-boun...@lists.artdesign.unsw.edu.au on behalf of
Theresa Ramseyer" <empyre-boun...@lists.artdesign.unsw.edu.au on behalf of
tlr28...@gmail.com> wrote:

    Evening,

    My computer-internet connection is still dial-up. It is unusable for
    the moment, for various reasons. My phone is now my main connection,
    but I can't get everything. Instagram, for example, is always a blank
    page. Many times I'll click on a link and get nowhere.

    I prefer Empyre as a listserve. I have gone back through previous
    discussions and looked up artists, followed threads and ideas when I
    had time. I've gone deeper; the list moves fast for me.

    It's much easier to find a post on gmail or yahoo than to dig through
Facebook.

    I know Empyre has a Facebook presence, and Facebook is easy to reach
    on my phone. But besides the searching difficulties, Facebook changes
    their algorithims so often that I keep lists of my "must read" pages
    and communities. It's annoying, to say the least.

    Theresa Ramseyer