Hello everyone,

My name is Julia McFadden and I am another one of Renate's Digital Media
students. In response to the current state of the blog, I found it
interesting to research the origin of blogging and see how it has changed.
I read about an early blog known as Wearable Wireless Webcam--a diary where
someone could share images and video and text from their daily life by
using a wearable computer. This is not the blogging I know today, but I can
certainly see how it may stem from this kind of example. Additionally,
while the discussion has mentioned the egalitarian nature of the list-serv
(especially when it is used alongside blogging), I found that the nature of
blogging has become more complex over time. The beginning of the blog in
the 1990's occurred around the time that people without HTML knowledge
could use web-design tools, bringing more ease in participation. Today,
amateur news reporters can offer their opinion and have it stick. Thus, it
seems that like the list-serv, the blog is completely egalitarian--however,
in other parts of the world, a blog could be cause for imprisonment in
politically sensitive areas. Blogs can be suppressed in other parts of the
worlds (China's internet restrictions come to mind), which has led to a
very complex nature of the blog today, that is not always so egalitarian or
harmless.

Best,
Julia McFadden